Arthritis is one of the common aging effects suffered by many, which is caused due to the degeneration of bones and cartilages. It is a painful condition generally observed in the major joints along with swelling and inflammation. Among a thousand types of arthritis, the most prevailing ones are gout, osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis. The Rheumatoid arthritis is the most severe form of this disease that affects the muscles and tendons apart from the joints. The joints of shoulders, knees, hips, ankles, heels, wrists, fingers and elbow wear out as one progress towards aging. Sometimes unhealthy lifestyle and obesity also invites arthritis at an early age. Both men and women suffer from varying degrees of this disease; women being more prone to arthritis after menopause.
Common symptoms pointing towards Arthritis are
- Moderate to severe pain in the joints.
- Swelling and inflammation of joints.
- Tenderness and stiffness in the joints restricting free movements.
- Fever in case of Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Formation of big toe in case of Gout.
- Higher levels of uric acid in blood
- Fluctuations in the hormonal levels
- Tenderness in the synovial joints
Is There An Effective Home Remedy For Stiff Joints?
There are many people who have used medicine for stiff joints, but are now looking to switch to a home remedy because of potential bad side effects of the medicine.
Some of the medicine is prescription based, and some isn’t. The most common prescription based medicine for stiff joints would probably be the COX-2 inhibitors, manufactured by the large pharmaceutical companies.
These drugs are used by people with arthritis, which, of course, is associated with stiff and inflammed joints….and the pain that is caused by them.
However, as anyone who is following the news knows, the COX-2 inhibitors don’t come without serious risk. Vioxx, produced by Merck, has been implicated in the deaths of thousands of people and major class action lawsuits are still pending.
Celebrex is another medicine for stiff joints produced by Pfizer. This product is marketed to help “relieve the pain, inflammation, and swelling of osteoarthritis.”
Maybe you are looking for a home remedy for stiff joints because you either don’t want the potentially serious health risks of the prescription medicines, or because your joint stiffness and pains aren’t so bad that they would warrant a prescription drug treatment.
Now, you may be very surprised to hear this, but the best home remedy for stiff joints is actually very beneficial for your overall health. The best natural remedy is omega 3 fatty acids!
Yes, the same omega 3 fatty acids you hear about all the time in the news…the same ones that are essential for cardiovascular and brain health.
This is because omega 3 fatty acids are powerful anti-inflammatories, and inflammation is often at the root of stiff and painful joints, and of some forms of arthritis.
Don’t just take our word for it. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center’s website: omega 3 fatty acids “appear to reduce tender joint counts in individuals with rheumatoid arthritis and may reduce requirements for corticosteroids.”
Moreover, “…several test tube studies of cartilage-containing cells have found that omega-3 fatty acids decrease inflammation and reduce the activity of enzymes that destroy cartilage.”
There is also one other home remedy for stiff joints that is naturally rich in omega 3 fatty acids. It comes from New Zealand. In New Zealand it’s well known. In the United States, it’s virtually unheard of.
This remedy is the green lipped mussel.
On the University of Maryland Medical’s website, they state: “Similarly, New Zealand green lipped mussel ( Perna canaliculus ), another potential source of omega-3 fatty acids, has been shown to reduce joint stiffness and pain, increase grip strength, and enhance walking pace in a small group of people with osteoarthritis.”
All of these comments from the University of Maryland can be access here: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm
However, the important point here is that if you’re not willing to use prescription medicine for stiff joints, then you should look into natural alternatives.
They can benefit you while also improving your overall health.
I personally used purified fish oil and green lipped mussel daily. Whether you should or not is a personal decision and one you may want to consult with your doctor on as well.
Home Remedies for Arthritis
Apart from the conventional treatment through the administration of high doses of analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs, home remedies provide an alternate treatment of arthritis which is no less effective than the drugs.
- Raw potato juice gives wondrous results in treating arthritis. Thin slices of potato including the skin are soaked in a glass of water overnight, which should be drunk early in the morning with the sunrise.
- Regular physical exercises improve the blood circulation and helps in strengthening the joints. It also keeps the body weight in control and prevents crippling of the limbs.
- Hot Epsom salt baths are very useful for this treatment as the skin absorbs the salt and enhances blood circulation.
- Reduced intake of protein, refined sugar and other processed foods is necessary in treating arthritis.
- Drinking a cup of juice of carrot, beet root, celery and other leafy vegetables is a good home remedy for arthritis.
- The herb Boswelia Serrata has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing inflammation.
- The herb Angelica is enriched with anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic and pain relieving constituents that is very effective in reducing the discomforts of arthritis.
- Sea bathing and steam baths are very useful in arthritis treatment.
- Rubbing the joints with castor oil is also beneficial in treating this disorder.
- Massaging the painful joints with the essential oils of Juniper, sage, Rosemary, Thyme diluted with olive oil in the ratio of 1:10 provides instant relief to the pain.